Our task for this project was to incorporate a QuakeWorld style architecture into our own networked game. AI requirements also included A* path finding and the use of finite state machines to control behaviour.
In addition to these requirements, the final version of the game also includes:
- Support for up to 8 human participants.
- Complex game play area consisting of a complete Doom level.
- Area of interest management to reduce bandwidth use & latency.
- Multiple AI behaviours including ambush, patrol and hunt.
- Optimised AI path finding and line of sight calculations.
- Transmission rate control and optional reliable data transfer over UDP.
- Error correction to deal with lost packets.